Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Rorohiko Workflow Resources
  Welcome the Message Board of Rorohiko Workflow Resources. To register, please e-mail [email protected] - automatic registration has been turned off because of relentless spambots and spammers. This Message Board is not actively monitored. If you have an urgent question, please e-mail [email protected]. If you post it here, it will probably be many weeks before we notice.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
APID/APIR/APIE deployment issues + license file (Read 22071 times)
msonsma
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

APID/APIR/APIE deployment issues + license file
07/11/06 at 18:42:28

I have just a few questions about the licensing model.

APID & APIR deployment issues
Scripted plug-ins developed with APID requires a licensed APID to be installed on machine on which the plug-in is deployed.
  • Is there a relation between APID license used to develop the plug-in and the APID license used by the client?  Does our plug-in still work on a workstation on which the user has installed its own copy of APID?
  • If a user has already installed the APIR on his/hers workstation: can we still deploy our APID developed plug-in on that workstation by installing a copy of APID. Or do we get a clash between the APID and APIR plug-ins and must we replace the APIR with the APID during installation.  (and does the user get a refund? Wink)
  • Can APIE developed plug-ins run with the APID or do you always need the APIR to run those plug-ins?

Demo versus full versions
On the web site the following information is listed:
For optional copy protection, APID provides a licensing system that ties into the InDesign serial number. The end-user needs a proper license from you before the scripts can be executed. You can also provide your potential customers with a time-limited demo of your solution.

And in the reference manual:
Demo versions of your scripts can be converted into fully enabled versions by
sending your end-user a small ‘license file’ which contains encrypted data that
enables a particular copy of InDesign (identified by the first 20 characters of its
24-character activation code) to run a particular component id.

How do we make such license file? Do you provide a tool for that? Or is functionality only available in the APIE version?

APIE version
Do you got any pricing information about this license model?

Thanks,
Manfred

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Re: APID/APIR/APIE deployment issues + license fil
Reply #1 - 07/12/06 at 00:44:33

Dear Manfred

Quote:
Is there a relation between APID license used to develop the plug-in and the APID license used by the client?

No, there is no link or relation between the licenses. Both the developer and the end-user need to have their own license for running APID.

Quote:
Does our plug-in still work on a workstation on which the user has installed its own copy of APID?

Yes.

On top of that, if you (as a developer) choose to use the licensing tools provided with APID, then your user will also need a license file from you (not us) - but that choice is up to the developer.

Quote:
If a user has already installed the APIR on his/hers workstation: can we still deploy our APID developed plug-in on that workstation by installing a copy of APID. Or do we get a clash between the APID and APIR plug-ins and must we replace the APIR with the APID during installation.  (and does the user get a refund? )

The APID is a superset of the APIR - so if the user has APID installed, it will also provide all the functionality of the APIR. APID is a drop-in replacement for APIR.

APID provides both:

- all functionality of APIR
- a runtime for APID-developed solutions

Quote:
Can APIE developed plug-ins run with the APID?

Yes. Because the APID is a superset of APIR, any APIE-developed solution will run against both an APIR or an APID runtime.

Quote:
How do we make such license file? Do you provide a tool for that? Or is functionality only available in the APIE version?

The license file is created with a so-called 'license generator' - this is a command-line application (Mac OS X/Win32  -other platforms can be provided on request; there might be an additional cost involved for these other platforms) that accepts the end-users InDesign serial number plus the unique identificationcode the developer chooses for the scripted plug-in.

This license generator has not yet been released for sale to the general public, but it is in beta now, and will become available in the next few weeks.

This application creates a license file which can then be sent to the end-user by the developer.

For our own needs at Rorohiko we have wrapped this command-line application into a web server setup, so our own license generation is fully automatic - but the developer can choose for manual or automatic approaches - whichever is most suitable.

In the next few weeks we'll also officially introduce some changes to the current pricing scheme.

Currently, a single-user APID is priced at $99.00.

That will drop to US$25.00 for a 'naked' single user license. Multi-user licenses stay at their current price level as listed on the web page for APID.

On top of that we'll introduce a new product - (APID + License Generator); a combined package at US$149.00.

So, the pricing will be:

APID + License Generator: US$149.00

APID single user: US$25.00
APID 10 user license: US$199.00
... (multi-user licenses stay the same).

The APIE (which allows you to create solutions that run with the freely downloadable APIR) is currently priced at US$15000.00.

(Legalese: These prices are tentative only and subject to possible changes - final prices will be made public in a next few weeks)

APID + License Generator is what a developer would purchase

APID 1, 10, 100... license packages is what end-users would purchase, or what a developer could purchase to on-sell to his customers.

I hope I have answered all your questions!

Best regards,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

msonsma
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 07/12/06 at 19:55:45

Quote:
...So, the pricing will be:

Smiley
Quote:
The APIE (which allows you to create solutions that run with the freely downloadable APIR) is currently priced at US$15000.00.

Shocked  
Quote:
I hope I have answered all your questions!

Yes, you did. Thanks

Manfred

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 07/12/06 at 22:35:09

(P.S. US$15000 might sound expensive, but consider that the APIE is meant for solutions that target > 2000 seats. Around 2000 end-user licenses, APIE becomes cheaper than APID - US$7.50 per license or less).

Kris
IP Logged

eargang
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 07/19/06 at 04:22:53

APIE sounds more interesting because it makes licensing look less complicated. the plugin user would only have to deal with the developer (that just happens to use APIE, but that doesn't matter to them).

But yeah, 15000 is a bit high. I think I get all this, but let's just run a scenario. I'm developing a plugin called Monkeys. I have a trial on my website that repquires APIR. That's cool, but...

1) are developers allowed to include APIR with their download? (ease of deployment goes up tenfold)
2) if a customer wants to buy Monkeys, how many hoops does he have to jump to register the product with me? does he/she have to register with Rorohiko as well?

Just checkin'.

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #5 - 07/19/06 at 07:04:39

Quote:
1) are developers allowed to include APIR with their download? (ease of deployment goes up tenfold)

Yes. The developer is free to pick whatever is most suitable. He/she can also link to our download links (i.e. have their own web page but have the download come from our server, etc...), or tell the user to get it from us, or copy it to his/her own download area, or include it,... - anything goes.

Quote:
2) if a customer wants to buy Monkeys, how many hoops does he have to jump to register the product with me? does he/she have to register with Rorohiko as well?

No. The licensing for Monkeys is between the Monkeys developer and the customer.

With APIE the developer gets a tool to generate license files.

As a developer you can handle everything the way you want - either set up things manually, or you could build a fully automated sales/license delivery web site. Rorohiko is not involved in that (nor do we want to be!).

Kris
IP Logged

eargang
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 07/19/06 at 08:20:23

Okay, that sounds good, but I guess my question could've been phrased clearer.

how about:

2) if a customer wants to buy Monkeys, which is built using APID, how many hoops does he have to jump to register the product with me? does he/she have to register with Rorohiko as well?

(APID specific, since we don't have the 15K budget ready just yet)

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 07/19/06 at 08:41:06

Ah, sorry! Did not understand that.

For APID there is one extra hoop.

One way or another the end-user needs to get a licensed copy of APID installed (one for each copy of InDesign he has). For the APID itself, the end user will need a license from Rorohiko.

However, once that copy of APID is installed and licensed, we're (Rorohiko) out of the picture; from then on it works just the same as with APIE: the developer has a license generator and interacts with his customers for selling, licensing, etc... and Rorohiko is not involved in that.

How does the end-user get hold of APID? That's again up to the developer to decide - a few possible scenario's:

1) The developer bundles a demo of APID with his solution. The end-user can try it out, and eventually needs to purchase two separate licenses - one from Rorohiko for APID (if not already done prior, of course), and one from the developer for the custom solution.

2) The developer bundles a full version of APID with his solution. To achieve that, the developer purchases a number of 'blank' single-user APID licenses from Rorohiko.  These licenses come in the form of so-called 'coupon codes'. They are not yet linked to an InDesign serial number.

When the end-user purchases the solution of the developer, the developer provides his customer with this APID license coupon code.

Using this coupon code the end-user can acquire a license code for APID from Rorohiko via web and e-mail. The end-user clicks 'Get License...' and uses the coupon code on the Rorohiko licensing web page.

Kris
IP Logged

eargang
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 07/19/06 at 08:50:04

That's not bad at all. Ideally, I wouldn't mind seeing a model between D and E, for instance, an E with a limited number of licenses that can be generated. After the developer/reseller run out of licenses to sell, the developer either contacts Rorohiko for more (a "booster pack"?) or to buy an E license. that way a developer can test the waters with a smaller startup cost, no requirement to dive into non-ExtendScript plugin programming, etc.

Not that I'm telling you how to run your business.. Scenario 2 sounds very interesting. And, as a sidenote, your product rocks and has made me see more and more side potential coming from spending 40 hours a week writing ExtendScript Wink

EDIT/addition:

is that going to be going starting soon? we have a client that we are developing code for - ideally i'd want to start implementing API* features asap, but if the license fee is about to drop 80%, i'd have to hold off.

IP Logged

eargang
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 07/22/06 at 08:50:22

Kris,

any indication when the new pricing scheme will be in effect? our company will probably need to order a few licenses to start development...

IP Logged

eargang
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 07/22/06 at 08:51:37

my bad. just noticed the updated page - i guess my browser'd been caching stuff.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print