Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Rorohiko Workflow Resources
  Welcome the Message Board of Rorohiko Workflow Resources. To register, please e-mail [email protected] - automatic registration has been turned off because of relentless spambots and spammers. This Message Board is not actively monitored. If you have an urgent question, please e-mail [email protected]. If you post it here, it will probably be many weeks before we notice.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can't see Story Parker - CS3 (Read 15394 times)
kengrace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Can't see Story Parker - CS3
06/25/07 at 21:52:11

I have API 1.0.42.3, Story Parker dated 21/05/07 and Text Exporter dated 14/06/07 in my Plug-Ins folder in CS3 Windows XP. InDesign shows API, which in turn shows that Text Exporter is installed - and it works, beautifully may I say - but there's no sign of Story Parker, either in the API registered plug-in listing, or under the API menu or in the context menu when a page item is selected.

Am I doing something wrong?

k

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Re: Can't see Story Parker - CS3
Reply #1 - 06/26/07 at 00:13:14

Dear,

No, that sounds all correct. I've tried the exact same setup - same versions, but it seems to work fine for me.

I've checked the file sizes -

ActivePageItemRuntimeCS3.pln - 385024 bytes
StoryParker.spln - 39189 bytes
TextExporter.spln - 36197 bytes

Do these correspond to the sizes at your end?

Is there anything peculiar about the document in question? Have you tried creating a new document, creating a few page items, and then seeing if StoryParker is available? Are your computers time and date set correctly?

If we don't find a difference or oddity, I might need to send you a special version of StoryParker to try and find out what exactly is going different on your computer.

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

kengrace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/26/07 at 01:29:08

Thanks Kris

This is getting more complicated. My initial problems were when working in a 56 page A4 magazine. After your question about peculiarities in the document I loaded a simple one-page document and Story Parker appeared.

I then switched back to the magazine, and while Story Parker now appears under the API tab, all the options are greyed out and there is no API section in the context menu.

I loaded the archived version of the previous magazine issue and Story Parker works OK. I cut down the current file by disposing of all the current material to save the balance as the bones of the next one, and still Story Parker doesn't work.

It's clearly file-related. If I open InDesign and load the problem file, no Story Parker. Open another document and Story Parker appears and works in that document. Back to the problem document and Story Parker shows under API and is listed in the API license list. But the Story Parker options are greyed out and there's nothing in the context menu.

Fixed it.

Took the new cut down document out through INX and back again and Story Parker is working OK now.

Sorry to have rung bells.

k

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 06/26/07 at 06:55:12

Good to hear it's fixed, or at least, that you were able to work around it.

Now - can I ask you a favor? Is it possible to e-mail us a copy of the rogue document (or a smaller, cut-down version of it, which still exhibits the problem)?

I'd love to see what causes it - it's of course possible it's just a 'sick' document, but that is not certain; it might just have something unexpected in it, and StoryParker bails out in some way that might be avoided.

If it's possible to send us a copy, please send to '[email protected]' - it'll find its way to me...

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

kengrace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/26/07 at 21:43:36

On its way. I guess it's a sick document rather than one holding surprises, because the journey through INX fixes it. I'd be interested to know if you find anything definable.

all the best

k

IP Logged

kengrace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/26/07 at 21:45:59

By the way. Did you know that posting a message here opens the possibility for Explorer to read your clipboard and prompts for permission? I believe this was a security hole that got patched recently.

k

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #6 - 06/26/07 at 23:34:41

No, I did not know about that. I've checked it out, and found some more info and a solution for the issue.

I've added a patch to the YaBB bulletin board software we're using, which should make the feature optional, so IE7 does not complain any more.

There should be a new checkbox when using IE7 to reply to a message - 'Check this if you want the message auto-copied to your clipboard before Post or Preview.

Hope this fixes it! Thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

kengrace
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 06/27/07 at 00:10:37

Just seeing what happens!

k

IP Logged