Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Rorohiko Workflow Resources
  Welcome the Message Board of Rorohiko Workflow Resources. To register, please e-mail [email protected] - automatic registration has been turned off because of relentless spambots and spammers. This Message Board is not actively monitored. If you have an urgent question, please e-mail [email protected]. If you post it here, it will probably be many weeks before we notice.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
InDesign Crashes on Copy (Read 25358 times)
rmcmahan0348
YaBB Newbies

InDesign Crashes on Copy
10/27/07 at 09:46:06

When I have ActivePageItemRuntimeCS3.InDesignPlugin installed and I Copy items on the page, InDesign crashes.

Running Intel Power Mac dual processor-2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.4.10, Indesign CS3 ver. 5.0.1.

Any ideas what is going on?

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Re: InDesign Crashes on Copy
Reply #1 - 10/27/07 at 10:28:31

Dear,

To investigate this I'd need a little bit more info:

1) Is this with all documents or with just one particular document?
2) What .spln files do you have installed? If you remove all .spln files, and retry after restarting InDesign does the problem persist?
3) What version of APIR do you have instalelled - is it version 1.0.43?

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

rmcmahan0348
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 10/30/07 at 03:09:40

This occurs on all documents. Installed files:
ActivePageItemRuntimeCS3.InDesignPlugin version 1.0.43
SendToMaster.spln
ImageLibraryLoader.spln
HistoryLog.spln
ImpositionCompanion.spln
LayerLifter.spln
LikeFindsLike.spln
TextStitch.spln

I took out the plugins 1 by 1 until all were out except the ActivePageRuntime and it still crashed. Once I take the Runtime out, it works as expected.

One other thing I will throw out that I have to contact Adobe about-- InDesign will still crash if I try to copy a ruler guide. I don't know if there is any correlation or if it is just a coincidence.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 10/30/07 at 06:34:11

Hmm... I have been trying things out here, and cannot really duplicate the issue here.

Could you try the following things:

1) If InDesign crashes, there should be a crash log somewhere; probably in your

<home>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Adobe InDesign CS3.crash.log

could you send me a copy of this file for inspection? Maybe there is a clue in it.

2) Could you try to create a new, temporary user account on your Mac (via System Preferences/Accounts). Then log in to the new account, and try the same operations again.

If the crash does not re-occur then there is probably something lurking in the preferences of your normal user account, and you might need to reset your InDesign preferences.

Log in to your normal account afterwards, and delete the temporary user account.

Kris
IP Logged

rmcmahan0348
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 10/30/07 at 07:41:39

Okay. I created a new account. It seemed to work okay. I went back into my original account things seem to be working correctly there as well, at least until I tried to copy a ruler guide. Then the crashing started again. I am copying the first few lines of the crash log below. There is mention of "ActivePageItemScriptHandler" and "ActivePageItemRepository" ActivePageItem items.

If you need more than what is listed below, where can I sent the log file? Can I just paste it into this window (there is a lot of info) or do you have an email address to send the file (80 KB) to?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE AdobeCrashReport SYSTEM "AdobeCrashReporter.dtd">
<crashreport version="1.1" crVersion="2.5.0.02272007" applicationName="InDesign" applicationVersion="5010" build="5.0.1.624">
     <time year="2007" month="10" day="29" hour="14" minute="19" second="7" />
     <user guid="6E60A065-446D-4EE6-B4D8-BA89DD62994A" />
     <system platform="macintosh" osversion="10.4.9" applicationlanguage="en" userlanguage="en" oslanguage="en_US" ram="4096MB" machine="i386" model="MacPro1,1" cpuCount="4" cpuFreq="2660MHz" busFreq="1332MHz" />
     <crash exception="Read Only Memory Exception" instruction="3489008b">
           <backtrace crashedThread="0">
                 <thread index="0">
                       <stackStatement index="0" address="0x1c72e943" symbolname="__ZN27ActivePageItemScriptHandler29QueryActivePageItemRepositoryEv"/
>
                       <stackStatement index="1" address="0x1c72dc4a" symbolname="__ZN28ActivePageItemScriptProvider14AccessPropertyE6IDTypeI12ScriptI
D_tagEP16IScriptEventDataP7IScript"/>
                       <stackStatement index="2" address="0x01d63036" symbolname="__ZN15CScriptProvider16AccessPropertiesEP16IScriptEventDataP7IScript
"/>
                       <stackStatement index="3" address="0x01d67c28" symbolname="__ZN15CScriptProvider16AccessPropertiesEP16IScriptEventDataRK8K2Vect
orI12InterfacePtrI7IScriptE11K2AllocatorIS5_EE"/>
                       <stackStatement index="4" address="0x21bd9ca0" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="5" address="0x21bddefa" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="6" address="0x01d306a9" symbolname="__ZN17CScriptDOMElement22CollectAttributeValuesER8K2VectorI12KeyValu
ePairI6IDTypeI12ScriptID_tagE17DOMAttributeValueE11K2AllocatorIS6_EE"/>
                       <stackStatement index="7" address="0x01d30b33" symbolname="__ZN17CScriptDOMElement20GetElementAttributesER8K2VectorI12KeyValueP
airI6IDTypeI12ScriptID_tagE17DOMAttributeValueE11K2AllocatorIS6_EE"/>
                       <stackStatement index="8" address="0x01d3193c" symbolname="__ZN17CScriptDOMElement13GetAttributesER8K2VectorI12KeyValuePairI6ID
TypeI12ScriptID_tagE17DOMAttributeValueE11K2AllocatorIS6_EE"/>
                       <stackStatement index="9" address="0x20137a49" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="10" address="0x20134be4" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="11" address="0x201361bb" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="12" address="0x2013670c" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="13" address="0x1e93d8fa" symbolname="unknown"/>
                       <stackStatement index="14" address="0x1e93dc77" symbolname="unknown"/>
                       <stackStatement index="15" address="0x1e93d39f" symbolname="unknown"/>
                       <stackStatement index="16" address="0x2016161e" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="17" address="0x01c860e9" symbolname="__ZN31CDataExchangeHandler_Extensible11ExternalizeEP13IPMDataObjectm
P9IPMStream"/>
                       <stackStatement index="18" address="0x1eba7c55" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="19" address="0x1eba60f5" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="20" address="0x1eba60b0" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="21" address="0x9303326f" symbolname="__Z23PasteboardPromiseKeeperP19OpaquePasteboardRefPvPK10__CFStringS1
_"/>
                       <stackStatement index="22" address="0x918197d7" symbolname="__Z22PasteboardCopyDataProcPvP14__CFPasteboardllPK10__CFString"/>
                       <stackStatement index="23" address="0x90893273" symbolname="___CFPasteboardClientCallBack"/>
                       <stackStatement index="24" address="0x90874b6a" symbolname="___CFMessagePortPerform"/>
                       <stackStatement index="25" address="0x9082d62d" symbolname="_CFRunLoopRunSpecific"/>
                       <stackStatement index="26" address="0x9082cace" symbolname="_CFRunLoopRunInMode"/>
                       <stackStatement index="27" address="0x92ded8d8" symbolname="_RunCurrentEventLoopInMode"/>
                       <stackStatement index="28" address="0x92decfe2" symbolname="_ReceiveNextEventCommon"/>
                       <stackStatement index="29" address="0x92f0397c" symbolname="_ReceiveNextEvent"/>
                       <stackStatement index="30" address="0x1eb34268" symbolname="unknown"/>
                       <stackStatement index="31" address="0x1eb51740" symbolname="_GetPlugIn"/>
                       <stackStatement index="32" address="0x0000277b" symbolname="_main"/>
                       <stackStatement index="33" address="0x0000209e" symbolname="start"/>
                       <stackStatement index="34" address="0x00001fc5" symbolname="start"/>
                       <stackStatement index="35" address="0x00000002" symbolname="unknown"/>
                 </thread>
           </backtrace>

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #5 - 10/30/07 at 08:00:58

Oops. Sorry - forgot to mention that: email address is [email protected]

Can you copy the ruler guide under the new account, or does the same behavior start?

Thanks!

Kris
IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/30/07 at 08:22:37

I've tried to set up the same configuration here (I don't have a dual processor Mac, but all the rest I have been able to pretty much set up the same) - same .spln, same version of APIR, and then I mucked around a while with the various functions, to see whether I could re-create the crash - to no avail.

My current feeling is that there might be something odd lurking in your preferences file - resetting the preferences might cure it. Problem is: resetting InDesign prefs is a quite drastic thing to do - people have been known to be reduced to tears after inadvertently resetting their prefs and losing a lot of carefully crafted setup, and on top of that I cannot be sure that really is the cure.

If possible, try to use the temporary account for a while and see if the crash re-occurs. If it does, but only after a while, maybe you might also have a clue as to what 'set it off', which could help me diagnose this one further.

Having the complete crash log will possibly help me figure out what is wrong, and how I might avoid the crash in future versions of APIR.

If I find anything else of interest, I'll post it here ASAP...

Thanks for the effort!

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #7 - 10/30/07 at 08:34:32

When sending the log via e-mail, I'll return you a copy 1.0.44-pre1 of APIR that has a 'symptomatic fix' - i.e. from the log information you copy-pasted I could identify where the crash occurs. I don't yet know why it occurs (i.e. why the code in question is even being called), but at least I can avoid the crash and have it 'bail out' more gracefully.

Once you get it, it would be great if you could try it out and see if things are better with that version...

Kris
IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #8 - 10/30/07 at 08:37:59

Better idea - I've made it available for download:

http://www.rorohiko.com/downloads/APIRCS3Mac1.0.44-pre1.zip

Give it a go and let me know whether this improves things...

Kris
IP Logged

rmcmahan0348
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 10/30/07 at 09:23:35

Yes, I can copy guides and other items in the test account. I have tried your new file--same results as previously--crash on copy any item in normal account but successful on copy any item in new test account. I have sent you the log file via email.

Where is the prefs file that I should remove? I have found several pref files and two plist (one in the Preferences folder and one in the Safe Preferences folder) files. I'm thinking you may be talking plist files but I don't like to assume. I can "move" the files and then put them back if there is no improvement. Just let me know which file(s) to move and where they are located.

Thanks for your help.

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #10 - 10/30/07 at 10:21:13

The file in question is as far as I can tell:

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 5.0/InDesign Defaults

where ~ stands for your 'home folder'.

Try renaming this file to InDesign Defaults.old or so (quit InDesign first!) and see whether that changes things...

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #11 - 10/31/07 at 09:21:50

Thanks for the new crash report - I've patched that one up too; it'd be great if you could try out the following attempt:

http://www.rorohiko.com/downloads/APIRCS3Mac1.0.44-pre2.zip

Give it a go and let me know whether this is better... If this one crashes as well, I'd be greatful for yet another crash report - I am pretty sure I can fix this issue (at least, avoid the crashes caused by APIR).

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #12 - 12/31/07 at 07:07:00

A second person reported a similar problem recently - so we've now had two reports about this issue. The crashes are fixed in our 1.0.44 beta version, and a newer beta for the 1.0.44 version is available at:

http://www.rorohiko.com/downloads/APIRCS3Mac1.0.44-pre5.zip

Any people who are using a different platform (Win, CS2, CS2) and experiencing similar problems, please e-mail us at [email protected] - we will make other pre-releases available as needed.

Kris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print