Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Rorohiko Workflow Resources
  Welcome the Message Board of Rorohiko Workflow Resources. To register, please e-mail [email protected] - automatic registration has been turned off because of relentless spambots and spammers. This Message Board is not actively monitored. If you have an urgent question, please e-mail [email protected]. If you post it here, it will probably be many weeks before we notice.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TextExporter no longer working (Read 16075 times)
rileyabbott
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

TextExporter no longer working
04/24/08 at 01:40:03

I'm using InDesign CS3. Previously I was using TextExporter with CS2 and CS3 with no problems.

Then I "lost" API so I downloaded the new version (1.0.44) as well as the latest version of TextExporter (1.0.2.1)

Installed both into my Plug-Ins folder.

Now, I have API on the menu bar, and when I click on it, I get a box that says:

"Active Page Item Runtime - licensing status. Click-select a line to enable buttons"

And below that, a window with "TextExporter" highlighted. But I can't do anything after that.
Clicking on "TextExporter" does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Running MacOSX, 10.4.11
InDesign CS3, 5.0.2

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Re: TextExporter no longer working
Reply #1 - 04/24/08 at 08:02:32

Hi,

We've had an other report of some very similar behavior - in that case there was something in the InDesign or TextExporter preferences that 'locks up' Text Exporter.

To fix that problem, the instructions below worked. Sadly enough, it involves clearing your preferences - which is quite traumatic for some people - sorry about that  Cry We'll try to duplicate the issue here - if we manage that, we will attempt to fix it in with APIR 1.0.45 and TextExporterPlus 2.0

1) Quit InDesign
2) Delete the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Rorohiko; empty trash
(~ = your home folder).
3) Restart Indesign and IMMEDIATELY hold Command-Option-Control-Shift to reset your preferences. InDesign should show a dialog 'Delete InDesign Preferences File?' or similar; click 'OK'.

On Windows:

1) Quit InDesign
2) Click the Start button and enter the following line of text:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data

Click OK

3) In the folder that opens find the folder called 'Rorohiko' and delete it (move it to the Recycle Bin)
4) Restart InDesign and IMMEDIATELY hold Command-Option-Control-Shift to reset your preferences. InDesign should show a dialog 'Delete InDesign Preference files?' or similar; click 'OK'.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

rileyabbott
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 04/24/08 at 08:09:23

Thanks, Kris.

I'm not afraid of trashing my preferences -- it's a necessary evil.

I did discover recently that TextExporter seems to be working with OTHER InDesign files -- so perhaps there is a problem with the one document I'm trying to export text out of. I'll see if the preferences fix helps.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Susan

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 04/24/08 at 08:22:23

Hi Susan,

If you do find it's a problem with a single file - and that file is not confidential stuff (or extremely large) - then I would not mind getting my hands on a copy via e-mail ([email protected]). If I can see the behavior here, I might be able to see whether it's a bug somewhere and fix it...

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

rileyabbott
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 04/24/08 at 12:42:41

Kris,

It is a pretty big file. I went back through the many revisions (I'm on _R11 right now)...the problem started somewhere between _R3 and _R4.
I'm going to chalk it up to some kind of corruption in the file and see if it happens next time (it's a magazine that we do once every two months).
It's never been a problem in the past so let's see what happens.

Thanks for your help, and for making this cool and handy plug-in!

Susan

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Reply #5 - 04/24/08 at 12:59:24

One 'trick' that might allow you to export the file is to

a) Export the file to INX format
b) Re-import the INX format
c) Then attempt text exporter on the reconstructed file

Often, ex- and importing to INX gets rid of little gremlins...

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

rileyabbott
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 04/24/08 at 13:20:41

Kris,

I'll be darned! That worked!

Thank you for the tip.

IP Logged

samdiener
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 06:10:23

This happened to me, too, with a single file. The API menu appeared at the top of the screen, but there were no options underneath (I have storyparker and Text exporter installed). I use CS3. I despaired. But I tried your INX export and reimport trick. The options reappeared. I had hope. I exported, and it said it couldn't access the file or something like that. Hopes dashed. I tried again, exporting it to the desktop. Success! Relief and exultation.
Thanks, Rorohiko, for making this very cool app, making it freeware, and sponsoring such a useful bulletin board. Amazing.
If you want me to, I can send you the Indesign file that gave me this problem, per your request above.
In Peace,
Sam

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print