Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Rorohiko Workflow Resources
  Welcome the Message Board of Rorohiko Workflow Resources. To register, please e-mail [email protected] - automatic registration has been turned off because of relentless spambots and spammers. This Message Board is not actively monitored. If you have an urgent question, please e-mail [email protected]. If you post it here, it will probably be many weeks before we notice.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Color2gray licensing (Read 5739 times)
weedos
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Color2gray licensing
09/24/10 at 01:29:01

Hello dear developers! Wink

I was using your tool color2gray back in indesign cs4, and it was great! Really great product, considering it was free and one of a kind with no other
competition around, and since indesign doesnt support any kind of exporting into grayscale.

Now when i moved to indesign cs 5, color2gray went commectial, wich is ok, you just want to be payed for your work. The price is ok too, 30$ isnt much of a deal for a license (even though its only a plugin, not a standalone program).

But there is one catch, one license is one use only... So, when you reinstall your system, or you upgrade it for any reason and you need to install windows again, or your indesign broken and you need to reinstall indesign, you have to pay another 30$....

Honestly, its to much for small buissnes, or designers which not working in any big company that would pay for it.

Lets just look it from perspective of a single user. Dont you think its a little over the line? Im sure there are many designers, just like me, that dont have money to pay every time our system crash, and for every reinstall they would do in the future.

To be clear, im willing to pay 30$ for it but not with that licensing...
I was reading your reasons why you picked up that kind of licensing, and one thing cross my mind every time... Your product was free just a few months ago, and now when you charging 30$ its to expensive for you to maintain licenses?! (im talking about single license here, 10-install coupon code for US$149.00, and 100-install coupon code for US$999.00)?
I really cant say i agree with that kind of licensing and prices.

You have right to charge it 1000$ per license if you want to, but you obviously wont sell as much as you would if you prices and licensing where accessible to a low budget users.

For me personaly (and im apsolutely sure for other hundreds users as myself) you leave no other choice but wait untill indesign implement exporting to grayscale, or you change you licensing policy. I would rather pay that 30$ for standalone program that can do more than turn graphics into grayscale, that would be better investition than one use only license.
That is just my opinion, and i wanted you to hear it.
best regards, Nazar.

P.S. Sorry for my awfull english grammar  Embarrassed  Smiley

IP Logged

Kris Coppieters
YaBB Administrator

New Zealand
Re: Color2gray licensing
Reply #1 - 09/24/10 at 10:07:21

Hi Nazar,

Lets just look it from perspective of a single user. Dont you think its a little over the line? Im sure there are many designers, just like me, that dont have money to pay every time our system crash, and for every reinstall they would do in the future.

Thanks for your comments!

I think you've misunderstood our licensing scheme. When your system crashes or when you reinstall, there is no extra cost. The same license will work. There is only an extra cost if you want to install on another computer, or with another version of InDesign - if you reinstall on the same computer with the same version of InDesign, no extra payment is required: you simply use the same license.

Please have a read of

http://www.rorohiko.com/licensing

I am sorry if our products are unaffordable to you - you're always free to e-mail us and ask for a free license if you cannot afford it.

We often hand out free licenses to not-for-profits, charities, schools... - all one needs to do is ask.

But you do need to realize that we are selling our products into a limited market - so where an iPhone developer has millions of potential customers, we have only a few thousands. A software developer might be able to earn a living selling a $5 iPhone app, but it just does not add up in the InDesign market.

Our licensing scheme is an attempt to strike a balance between price and flexibility. If price is the problem, you purchase a single install license. If you want flexibility, you purchase a 10-install coupon code.

From our end, we're pretty happy with the sales of our 10-install coupon codes, so we feel no pressure to change our approach.

Thanks for your comments (and BTW - your English is just fine!).

Cheers,

Kris

Kris
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print